Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Shalini's Gifts...

As Shalini's mentor, I have had the opportunity to talk with her about many subjects, and through our discussions, she has revealed to me the many gifts she brings to the world.

Shalini is a talented filmmaker, a voice for social awareness, a wonderful friend, and a beautiful all-around person, but one of the gifts she values most is her ability to draw from the two cultures that comprise her background - Indian and American - and offer the world her unique perspective.

"I feel totally blessed to be of two cultures," Shalini told me. "What I love most about having two different backgrounds is that my traditional Indian mother living in America gave me a really rich, colorful experience from which to make movies from. My mother imparted wonderful values and ethics, a sense of right and wrong, and a work ethic that I am truly grateful for. My mother gave me my Indian heritage, guided my spiritual life, and showed me an incredible community that I could connect with."

Many of us share that same sentiment. We are molded by our cultures and we draw our strength from our diverse ancestries and communities. Shalini is grateful that she grew up in the United States where the world is our oyster, where our dreams can become a reality, and where the streets are still paved with gold(en) opportunities.

Having chased her dream of becoming a memorable filmmaker all the way to the set of "On the Lot," Shalini credits the development of her inspirational voice to the wide variety of people she has met from all over the world and from all walks of life, and she attributes much of her career success to the teachers and mentors who've shared their insights and advice with her.

"My background gives me a great palette to paint from," Shalini notes. And anyone who has seen her film A Drop of Life knows what an incredible artist she is.

No comments: