Monday, June 11, 2007

Mom's Wisdom at Work

While writing my new book, From the Kitchen to the Corner Office: Mom's Recipes for Success REVEALED, I've become curious about what other women have gleaned from their mothers and mother figures.

As Shalini's mentor, I decided to ask her what she has learned from her own mother and how she uses that knowledge in her work...

"My mom showed me that her commitment to us would remain strong in good times and bad. She was a single parent who worked three jobs to put food on the table and put herself through school. She never complained. She was a self-made women who rebuilt her life from nothing after my father left. I watched her work around the clock, sleeping only three to four hours a night. This gave me a boundless well of strength because whenever I feel like complaining or I feel tired, I think of her and how driven she was to feed her children. I figure if she can work that hard for us, I can work that hard and harder trying to chase my dream."

It's mothers like Shalini's that make all of us feel that there's nothing we can't do and that life's opportunities are limitless.

Shalini says, "My mom always said that women were like a velvet glove on an iron fist. You don't have to speak loud; you don't have to be rude, but inside, you just have to be solid. Don't let people walk all over you."

With the powerful messages of her films and her commitment to spreading those messages to the world, it's clear that Shalini has learned from her mother well.

We all have women in our lives that have influenced us. Share your best "Mom's wisdom" stories today at MichelleYDrake.com!

No comments: