Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What's the bravest thing you've ever done?

We all have a past, it's can be good or not so great...but it is our past nevertheless.


I asked Shalini what was the bravest thing she has done personally.


"I met my estranged father after 25 years in South India.

He left my family when I was two years old and I haven't had any contact with him since. When I was 25, I showed up at his door all by myself with a video camera with me. It was the scariest thing I have ever done. I could still hear the sound of my hand on the door because it was shaking so badly. It was a very intense experience. This was not about trying to have this wonderful relationship with my father, but rather about my own sense of completion. I filmed the entire thing, and he asked, "Why are you filming this?", and I told him it was just out of habit...but really, I couldn't have done it without the camera, because the camera is something that makes me feel powerful."

No comments: